Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cocktail Time!

I watch a lot of television. That's what my husband keeps telling me anyway. My tv watching lineup is pretty varied. I don't know what you would think if you saw what was on my DVR on any given day. General Hospital, Family Guy, The Office, Grey's Anatomy, Robot Chicken, No Reservations, I could go on and on.

One show that I just LOVE and have not missed an episode thanks to my obsession with it (and my DVR. honestly I don't know how I ever survived without it!) is AMC's Mad Men.

I (like many women and men too I am sure) am infatuated with Don Draper.

He is so smooth & handsome. I love his wife irl, she is a cutie, I loved her movie "Kissing Jessica Stein"

Joan Halloway-Harris is my other favorite. Thank you for making curvy women sexy again!
Mad Men is on Sunday nights starting at 9pm here in my neck of the woods which is perfect because the kids are in bed. I have gotten in the habit of having a cocktail while I watch Mad Men. I dunno, kinda gets me in the mood. It's always a martini, and thanks to another favorite show of mine, I have a new favorite martini. I call it the Jeff Lewis Martini. (from the show "Flipping Out" on Bravo)
I got the initial recipe from the show, but made a couple minor tweaks. So here ya go, my version of the Jeff Lewis Martini:

first gather your ingredients & "tools":

You will need:
Martini glass
Cocktail shaker (I have just a single serve one which is just fine since my husband doesn't drink)
Liquid measuring cup
Ice

Ingredients:
Vodka (I use a local organic brand from Dripping Springs. It's yummy!)
Spanish Olives w/ brine
Blue Cheese
Water

First load your martini glass with ice to chill it down. The key to a good martini is that everything is ICE COLD. Fish out a few olives from the jar and remove the pimento from the center and fill that little sucker with blue cheese, as much as you can get in there. This is key. Olives that come pre-stuffed with blue cheese suck. take the few minutes and a couple extra bucks and do it yourself. Trust me, it's worth it.
Now load up your cocktail shaker with ice. Into the shaker add 2 Tablespoons of the Vodka of your choice (I keep mine in the freezer so it is as cold as it can be) 2 Tablespoons of the olive brine and 1 Tablespoon of water. Now shake it up really good. REALLY good.
Toss the ice from your martini glass, drop in your olive (or 3 if you are like me) and pour your martini in the glass.
mmm... Hold on one sec Don, just let me finish my drink...

No comments:

Post a Comment