Monday, July 6, 2009

Dill Pickles

I was finally able to find fresh dill. Had to drive almost 20 miles but I found some!! So now, time for some dill pickles!

First is the cucumber prep. A recipe I found online said to soak the pickles (I did slices) in ice water for at least 2 hours. This is supposed to help them stay crunchy.
Next was the garlic. Peeled and cut in half. I did about 1 clove per jar, but the cloves I had were big. If you have smaller cloves you may want to add more.

Next is the dill, freshly washed and I just trimmed the tough ends. Each jar got a clove (or 2) of garlic and a few sprigs of the fresh dill.

Packed the cucumber slices in each jar and over it poured the hot vinegar mixture which was 1/3 cup pickling salt dissolved in about 5 cups of water and 2 cups plain white vinegar. Brought to a boil then ladled in the jars, just like the last pickle recipe, leaving a 1/2" headspace.

These do have to "marinate" for longer than the sweet & spicy ones, about 2 months. They do look really good! I can't wait to try them!

This week I am "jamming" (ok that was lame) making strawberry jam & spiced peach jam. I started my strawberry jam this morning but I didn't realize that I am out of sugar (and fresh lemons!) so I had to put it on hold until I go to the grocery store this afternoon.

Guess I could do some scrapbooking stuff since it seems like I haven't in a while...

2 comments:

  1. I love reading through your posts! I followed you from the foodieblogroll you see, and I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks! - Alisa@Foodista

    ReplyDelete