Saturday, August 8, 2009

Braised Short Ribs Part 1

I will warn you, this one is what I consider to be a "cold weather" recipe. It is one of my favorite comfort foods, and a cheap one to make at that. I just had a craving yesterday (despite the 102 degree weather outside) while shopping at my local meat market. Short ribs were on sale so I grabbed some.

This is a 2 part recipe, it takes 2 days to make it, but it is oh so worth it. The recipe I came across in a food magazine last year. I get so many, I can't remember if it was Food & Wine, Savuer, etc. It was from Tom Colicchio who I love to watch on Top Chef. I did make a few changes to the origional recipe (I'm just not a fan of celery) here is my take on it.

Part 1:

ingredients:
6 flanken style short ribs with bones (my butcher didn't have the flanken style so I am using the regular ones that are seen the most in meat cases)
1 large onion chopped
2 carrots sliced (I threw another in there cuz the one was kinda skinny)
3 garlic cloves peeled and thickly sliced (or just give them a good bash with your knife)
1 750 ml. bottle dry red wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
4 sprigs fresh thyme
small amount of veggie oil

Method:
Season ribs with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add a little oil to the pan. Sear the ribs on all sides.
So yummy. As they are seared place them in a shallow baking dish. Don't crowd the pan, just take your time and do just a few at a time. While those are working take care of your veggies.
When your ribs are all done toss your veggies in the pan and saute till they are just tender. Don't forget to toss in your thyme sprigs.
This....
smells wonderful.

Then add your wine. This weekend I am using:
It's pretty tasty. I took a little sip while I was cooking.
It was on sale this week at my local grocery store, $6 a bottle. Now the last couple times I have made this I have used the Fish Eye Cab. and it was really good too.

The whole bottle to the pan, and bring it to a boil.




Now this REALLY smells good. I let it boil for a few minutes & the veggies start to turn purple from the wine.
I forgot to mention too that the thyme came from my cute little herb garden out in the back yard. The heat has really taken it's toll on the oregano, basil and tarragon, but the thyme and rosemary is doing ok. ( I am so ready for some cold weather!)
Ribs in the pan...

Add the veggie and wine mixture to the ribs. Allow it to cool completely then cover and place in the fridge over night. You can also keep this in the fridge for up to 2 days before going to the next step.


I have prepped this today (Saturday) for Monday night's dinner so check back to see Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment