Sunday, April 17, 2011

The "Everything from Scratch" Breakfast

The only thing I didn't make from scratch this morning was the butter and the honey :)

I cooked up the maple cured bacon I made week before last.
It was CRAZY good


EEK. Note to self, find a better window to take pictures in front of.

We also had biscuits I made from scratch. I always make the biscuits from scratch. I have a great recipe (listed below) that I use. I change the type of butter I use. Sometimes I use Kerrygold butter, today I used imported un-salted Normandy butter.



Buttermilk Biscuits

Sift together in a bowl:
2 cups un-bleached all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (omit if using Kerrygold, or other salted butter)

Cut in with a fork or pastry blender:
6 T. Cold butter
This is what I used today:

But feel free to use whatever butter you like. Blend this into the flour mixture till it resembles coarse crumbs.
Slowly add 3/4 cup buttermilk. Stir it with a fork till just blended. Then get your hands dirty! Gently knead the dough till it is no longer sticks to the bowl and is smooth on the surface.
Now my boys usually help me so we just pull off small handfuls of dough, gently roll them into balls and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet (this method makes them a little more rustic looking). Allow them to rest while your oven heats up to 425 degrees. Brush the tops with melted butter and bake them (depending on the size) 10-15 minutes or till golden brown.

This morning we topped them with my home made jam:
That I made last year during my month long canning binge. (We are just now starting to run low, despite me giving away many jars) We also topped them with some delicious local honey from Round Rock Honey . Eggs (eek I forgot to get a pic!) came from a friend who has property south of Seguin where he has chickens, ducks, goats, cows etc. The chicken eggs he gives us are some of the best we have ever had. Fruit also came from my 2010 canning binge. Alec pulled out a a jar of my chunky spiced apple sauce. (made from organic pink lady apples)

So that was our Sunday breakfast. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment