Sunday, March 20, 2011

3 Cheeses to try...

I consider my self blessed to be a chef in a cheese shop. I have just about landed my dream job. Jen, our resident "cheesemonger" I adore. She loves cheese and we share an obsession with charcuterie. Every Tuesday and Thursday we get our cheese orders in. Usually on those days (when we get a new cheese in) we do a little tasting which is great because it has allowed me to try some new cheeses. Just like my charcuterie obsession, I am also obsessed with a few cheeses that I highly recommend you try if you happen to come across them.

2 of my cheeses come from Cypress Grove. Their cheese are just awesome. This Midnight Moon I love for 2 reasons, #1 it's just a really yummy cheese. 1 year aged goat cheese that has such a beautiful smell and flavor. Lightly nutty, it has those lovely little crystals that you can feel in your teeth when you eat it that tells you you are having good cheese. & #2, I just love the picture of the lady on the cover. How cool is she? I have this cheese in my fridge right now. I have been eating it with thin slices of pink lady apples and of course a fresh baked baguette.


Crozier Blue is a cheese we got in just for St. Patty's day. And I will be honest, at first I didn't like it. When we opened the package the smell hit me like a ton of bricks. There is a definite barn-yard smell to this one. The first thing out of my mouth was "It smells like the sheep at the county fair". But then I tasted it and holy cow, it was good! So creamy and smooth. Not at all what I expected from the smell. I just spread it on some baguette, but I imagine this would be good with some slices of pear too, maybe crumbled over a salad. When the last of this sells I don't know what I will do.

Above is Purple Haze Cheve (also from Cypress Grove). This is a lovely creamy cheve that has lavender and fennel pollen. This was another that I wasn't too crazy about initially. I once described it tasting "like you think a head shop would taste". But Jen suggested pairing it with some chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey. The honey really mellows the fennel and makes it just very yummy.

I have more cheeses in the fridge that are also very yummy, Prairie Breeze , Tipperary Cheddar , and of course Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Give them a try next time you are at your local cheese shop or well stocked cheese counter at the grocery store and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment