Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cake Pops! Well, not so much....

First off, I am not a baker. I have probably said this before, but I do not do pastry. I pretty much suck at baking. I've got 1 chocolate chip cookie recipe that I rock, but that is about it.

So what was I thinking when I thought, HEY KIDS! Lets make some Cake pops!
I know what I was thinking. I have been reading Bakerella's blog ( http://bakerella.blogspot.com/) and ooh-ing and aww-ing over her fantastic-ness when it comes to the pastry arts.
Cake pops! how hard can they be? Yeah, not so easy.
Well we tried.


While the kids were home on Spring Break #2 AKA. Swine Flu Vacation I decided this would be fun for them to try. We went to the store and they picked out a box of cake mix & canister of frosting.
I am pretty sure we went wrong with the choice of cake mix. The kids picked Pillsbury "Funfetti" mix, which already has sprinkles in the mix. But the package said "Pudding in the mix for extra moist cake!" which I think was the problem since we couldn't get our balls to stay together.

We used the white chocolate melts (so we could dye it other colors if we wanted) and the kids used left over sprinkles we had from Christmas cookies. They definatly did not look as pretty as Bakerella's. But the kids loved them. I mean, what's not to love? Cake? Frosting? Chocolate? Sprinkles?

I don't know if we will be making cake pops again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment